AMC Logo 1954-1969
         
American Motors Corporation
         

AMC Logo 1970-1987

American Motors Corporation (AMC) was created in 1954 by the merger of Nash-Kelvinator Corporation and Hudson Motorcar Company.
 
The new company continued to make Nash and Hudson badged cars through the 1957 model year.   In 1958, Rambler became the sole division of American Motors.

AMC did well in the '60s and early '70s, and in 1971 AMC purchased the rights and facilities of Jeep from Kaiser-Willys.   However, through the late '70s and '80s, their financial performance really suffered.   Poor product planning and a seeming inability to quickly react to changing markets meant a continuing decline in market share, year after year.

In 1979, American Motors entered into a partnership with French carmaker Renault, which led to the marketing of several forgettable cars such as Alliance, LeCar, Renault 18, and Fuego.

In 1987, Chrysler Corporation purchased American Motors - not for their cars, but for the Jeep division.   As a result, American Motors passed into the history books.

(Note: In a weird quirk of fate, Daimler-Benz merged with Chrysler Corporation in 1997, with Daimler being the majority business.   What this meant was the vehicle which became synonymous with winning the war against the Germans - the Jeep - was now owned by a German company!   This situation was somewhat reversed in 2007 when Daimler sold 80.1% of their Chrysler interests back to a U.S. firm, Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.   The remaining 19.9% interest in Chrysler was retained by Daimler-Benz.)

Below is a timeline of the cars and significant events of Nash, Hundson, and American Motors Corporation.   For those of you with capable browsers, all of the model names (except Jeep) in the following charts are 'clickable' to 'jump' to the page for that model.   For those with older browsers, below the timeline are lists of links to the pages for the individual car models.


The AMC cars listed on the timeline each have their own page.   Click on the car name below to go to its page.

Nash
  Ambassador ('46-'57)
  600 ('46-'49)
  Statesman ('50-'56)
  Rambler ('50-'57)
  Nash-Healey
  Metropolitan
Hudson
  Commodore ('46-'47)
  Super ('46-'47)
  Commodore ('48-'52)
  Super ('48-'51)
  Pacemaker ('50-'52)
  Hornet ('51-'54)
  Hornet ('55-'57)
  Wasp ('52-'54)
  Wasp ('55-'56)
  Jet ('53-'54)
  Italia ('53-'54)
AMC
  Ambassador ('58-'74)
  American ('59-'69)
  AMX
  Concord
  Eagle
  Gremlin ('70-'78)
  Javelin
  Hornet
  Marlin ('65-'67)
  Matador ('71-'78)
  Matador Coupe ('74-'78)
  Pacer
  Rambler ('58-'60)
  Rambler Classic ('61-'66)
  Rebel ('67-'70)
  Spirit


Nash-Hudson-AMC Websites

ArcticBoy's American Motors Site - A huge site with everything AMC - a "must visit" if you are an AMC enthusiast.


This page was developed by Herb Klug       Updated June 10, 2018       Contact me at herbk98@cfl.rr.com